Definitions of Culture
How do you define culture?
Culture has been defined in many ways. Here are a few examples:
– A collective programming of the mind.
– The methods society evolves to solve problems.
– Everything we take for granted.
– The code of behaviors, values, beliefs, and patterns of thinking that we learn as we grow and develop in our social groups. Culture determines how we view ourselves and others, how we behave, and how we perceive the world around us. It distinguishes the members of one group of people from another.
– The personality of a society.
– The way we do things around here!
In investigation into what lies at the heart of cultural differences leads into history, geography, sociology, philosophy, theology, mythology … in fact every branch of the humanities.